The Museum of Fine Arts, located on the tree-lined Paseo Fray Francisco in Vitoria-Gasteiz, is a definite must for lovers of art, history and architecture.
Primarily, of course, because of its interesting art collection made up of important works of Basque and Álava art from the period 1850-1950 and Spanish art from the 18th and 19th centuries.
But also because of the very building that houses this collection, which is an attraction in itself. The Palace of Augustin Zulueta, one of the most emblematic buildings in the capital of Álava, has a story all of its own, closely related to some of the most important names and families in the city’s history.
In fact, in 2016 the palace celebrated its first centennial. However, the birthdays do not end here, given that the Museum of Fine Arts can also celebrate 75 years of being open to the public ever since the Provincial Council of Álava acquired the building in 1941 in order to house their art collections, which today include works signed by Ignacio Zuloaga, Ramón and Valentín Zubiarurre, Ignacio Díaz de Olano and Fernando de Amárica.