Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art - arabaturismo
Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art
Finally, in 1999, this museum was opened in the New Cathedral with the aim of restoring, preserving, studying and disseminating the religious heritage of the Diocese and the Historical Territory of Álava.
The pieces that go to form the collection have come from the Provincial Council of Álava, the Bishopric of Vitoria and the churches of the Diocese and are displayed in five sections arranged chronologically and named according to the predominant materials or techniques used: Stone, Wood, Panels, Canvas and Silver.
The Museum is located in the New Cathedral, a Neo-Gothic building that began construction in 1907, but was halted between 1914 and 1946 and was consecrated in 1969. Its interior is very open and it has five high naves illuminated by magnificent stained-glass windows created by the Maumejean family. The spiritual and that of the museum coexist in the temple given that the chapels of the ambulatory have become the rooms for the museum.